|
By Barbara Plett
BBC correspondent, Islamabad
|
There has been heavy fighting between tribal militias and Pakistani security forces in the province of Balochistan.
A tribal spokesman says at least 16 civilians in the town of Dera Bugti have been killed in the past two days.
Locals in the south-western province told the BBC the number was higher but officials say they have no information.
In recent weeks a simmering conflict over resources between the government and Baloch tribesmen has escalated - much of it centring on Dera Bugti.
It is the stronghold of a powerful tribal leader.
'Greedy' leaders
The local government administrator Abdul Samad Lasi, said militants fired around 500 rockets on Saturday at the paramilitary frontier corps.
The troops were reported to have bombarded the town with heavy artillery fire.
Mr Lasi had no details of casualties although he said it was possible some militants had been killed.
But a tribal spokesman, Shahid Bugti, said many civilians had died including women and children.
Baloch nationalists accuse the government of launching a full-scale military campaign to suppress their demands for a greater share of the province's gas and mineral resources.
The government denies such an operation, saying only that it is taking action against criminals and anti-state fugitives.
In the past few years, Baloch rebels have carried out a string of attacks on security forces and infrastructure.
The government launched the current crackdown in December after a rocket was fired while the president was visiting the region.
The authorities blame the violence on what they say are a few greedy tribal leaders opposed to huge new development projects.
But Baloch nationalists say these projects have marginalised the local tribes.
They also say they are not getting enough royalties from the province's natural gas.
And they opposed government plans to build new military garrisons in the area.