[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Sunday, 8 May, 2005, 09:18 GMT 10:18 UK
Afghan cafe blast claims UN man
Internet cafe blast in Kabul
Many foreigners checked their e-mails at the busy city centre cafe
A Burmese worker for the United Nations has died after Saturday's attack on an internet cafe in Kabul, bringing the number of dead to three.

A UN spokeswoman, Ariane Quentier, said the man worked for the UN Office for Project Services, but she gave no name.

Six people were also hurt in the attack on the Park Residence Internet Cafe. One of the dead was believed to be a suicide bomber, police said.

The attack comes amid increasing fears for security in Kabul, analysts say.

Five questioned

The other dead and injured in the blast were thought to be all Afghans.

QUICK GUIDE

Interior ministry spokesman, Lutfallah Mashal, had earlier indicated the dead foreigner was a Philippine national but later corrected the error and confirmed the man was Burmese.

The UN's Office for Project Services runs road construction projects and is also playing a key role in preparations for the forthcoming parliamentary elections.

Mr Mashal said one body was severely mutilated, suggesting he might be a suicide bomber.

"We suspect it was an attack on an internet cafe where foreigners go to check their mail. It might be a terrorist attack, but it's still too early to say," he said.

Five people, including the cafe owner, are being questioned.

The BBC's Andrew North in Kabul said the bombing was being treated as an attack aimed at Kabul's international community.

This was the first such attack since last year, when a suicide bomber targeted a nearby shopping street popular with foreigners.

Our correspondent says concerns about the security of the international community have been growing after at least two kidnapping attempts on foreigners in recent weeks.

Authorities fear criminal elements may be planning to kidnap foreign workers for ransom.

Three election workers - from Northern Ireland, the Philippines and Kosovo - were seized at gunpoint in October last year and released a month later.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific