BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh

 You are in:  World: South Asia
Front Page 
Middle East 
South Asia 
From Our Own Correspondent 
Letter From America 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

Thursday, 21 February, 2002, 23:29 GMT
Daniel Pearl: Seeker for dialogue
Daniel Pearl
Mr Pearl was missing for a month before he was confirmed dead
The American reporter Daniel Pearl worked for the Wall Street Journal for 12 years and was their South Asia bureau chief at the time of his death.

Mr Pearl, 38, was born in Princeton, New Jersey and graduated from Stanford University with a bachelor's degree in communications.

I'm pregnant, I was sick. Otherwise I would have gone with him

Daniel Pearl's wife, Marianne
He joined The Wall Street Journal in November 1990, initially as a reporter in the Atlanta bureau. Then in 1993 he moved to the Washington office to cover transportation before beginning a series of overseas postings.

The members of a radical Islamic group in Pakistan who claimed to have kidnapped him said Daniel Pearl was a member of the Israeli intelligence service, Mossad.

But Mr Pearl's employers vehemently denied that he was an agent of any government.

"Mr Pearl, a US citizen born in the US, and a working journalist all of his adult life, is not an agent of any government or agency. He is a reporter for us - nothing more, nothing less," the Wall Street Journal said in a statement following his kidnap.

Overseas correspondent

In January, 1996, Mr Pearl moved to London, where he remained until February, 1998, when he transferred to The Wall Street Journal's Paris bureau.

In December, 2000, he moved to Bombay where he was based for the last two years of his life, working as the newspaper's South Asia bureau chief.

Guards outside the Karachi home of Daniel and Marianne Pearl
He and his wife had been residing in Karachi

Mr Pearl was married to Mariane, a French woman, who is currently six months pregnant with their first child.

The couple had been living in the Pakistani city of Karachi while Mr Pearl tried to arrange an interview with a Muslim cleric, Mubarak Ali Shah Gilani, head of the small militant Islamic group, Tanzeem ul-Fuqra.

Mrs Pearl is herself a freelance journalist, who would typically work on stories alongside her husband.

"I'm pregnant, I was sick. Otherwise I would have gone with him," she said.

In an interview with CNN Mrs Pearl said both she and her husband believed that their role as journalists was to create dialogue.

See also:

01 Feb 02 | South Asia
Paper pleads for kidnapped journalist
29 Jan 02 | South Asia
US concern over missing journalist
28 Jan 02 | South Asia
Militants kidnap US journalist
27 Jan 02 | South Asia
Search for US journalist in Pakistan
27 Jan 02 | Americas
No POW rights for Cuba prisoners
13 Jan 02 | South Asia
Pakistan's militant Islamic groups
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories