BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
Middle East 
South Asia 
From Our Own Correspondent 
Letter From America 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Tuesday, 17 July, 2001, 12:55 GMT 13:55 UK
Agra summit at a glance

Pakistani military ruler President Pervez Musharraf visited India for a landmark summit between 14 and 16 July.

In the first such meeting for more than two years, President Musharraf and Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee discussed bilateral relations and their nuclear rivalry.

But initial optimism waned and the talks ended without agreement, with the long-running dispute over Kashmir seen as the main reason for the deadlock.

President Musharraf at Gandhi's memorial
President Musharraf paid his repects at Gandhi's memorial
Day 1: Delhi

At the start of the talks there was hope that the summit could improve relations between the two countries.

Both leaders promised to be flexible and talked enthusiastically of the days ahead.

Preparations in both India and Pakistan went ahead with cautious optimism and goodwill.

Click here for pictures of the summit preparations

The first day was largely taken up with symbolic gestures rather than heavy negotiating. Nevertheless, initial signs were positive.

President Musharraf was warmly welcomed on his arrival in Delhi, receiving a 21-gun salute. He was then formally welcomed by Indian President KR Narayanan..

He became the first Pakistani leader to visit the Mahatma Gandhi memorial - a traditional venue for visiting dignitaries - where he laid a wreath and paid tribute to the Indian independence leader.

President Musharraf's old home
President Musharraf's ancestral home is in Delhi
The trip was particularly poignant for the Pakistani president who paid a visit to his ancestral home in Daryaganj.

The Musharraf ancestral home was sold by President Musharraf's grandfather in 1946 and the family moved to newly-formed Pakistan after the partition of India.

President Musharraf had an emotional reunion with an old servant who remembered him as a little boy.

Click here to read more about President Muharraf's ancestral home

But even on the first day, there were disagreements.

Mr Musharraf also held a controversial, closed-door meeting with Kashmiri separatist leaders.

The Indian Government was opposed to the meeting and retaliated by sending a junior official as its representative.

And hours before the Pakistan president's arrival in Delhi, violence erupted between Indian and Pakistani troops across the border controls in Kashmir, the first reported exchange of fire between the two armies this year.

Click here for a media assessment of the first day

President Musharraf and his wife at the Taj Mahal
President Musharraf and his wife saw the Taj Mahal
Day 2: Agra

Discussions intensified on the second day of the summit.

On Sunday morning, President Musharraf left for Agra in Uttar Pradesh for direct talks with Prime Minister Vajpayee.

While neither side gave much away as to the substance of the talks, both said the discussions had been very constructive and a third round of talks was planned for the following day.

Mr Musharraf also found time to visit Agra's most famous landmark, the Taj Mahal, and later attended a dinner hosted by the governor of Uttar Pradesh.

Widely considered to be one of the most beautiful and romantic locations in the world, the Taj Mahal is also a symbol of the height of Mogul power in India.

But again, the talks were marred by violence in the Kashmir region. At least 18 people were reportedly killed in heavy fighting between Indian soldiers and Islamic militants.

Click here to read more about the second day

Kashmiri militant
Kashmir is still a sticking point between the nations
Day 3: Agra

Both sides spent most of Monday trying to find common ground and agree on a final statement to be signed by both leaders.

A planned trip to Ajmer in Rajasthan was cancelled as the talks were extended.

But after a delay of nine hours, in which several draft proposals were exchanged, they failed to produce a document that both sides were willing to sign.

After the announcement that no agreement had been reached, President Musharraf returned to Islamabad.

As expected, it was the question of Kashmir which seems to have created the deadlock.

Click here to read more about the Kashmir dispute

The talks did, however, achieve limited success.

Both sides agreed that further meetings among high-level ministers should take place in the near future, and India's Prime Minister Vajpayee has agree to visit Islamabad later this year.

But there is still intense disappointment in both countries that no further agreement could be reached.

Click here for more on the summit's conclusion

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
See also:

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories