Page last updated at 10:25 GMT, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 11:25 UK

Human Rights Watch inquiry: NATO failed to acknowledge Libyan deaths

Advertisement

Human Rights Watch inquiry has found that 72 civilians were killed in NATO airstrikes over Libya last year. The inquiry examined claims of civilian deaths during 8 separate NATO strikes and found that in some cases it failed to acknowledge the deaths. It says the families of victims should now be compensated.

NATO has hit back at a report highlighting the numbers of civilians killed in last year's air campaign over Libya, saying it carried out attacks with unprecedented care and precision. A spokeswoman for NATO says the campaign exceeded standards required by International Law.

The HUB's Karin Giannone spoke to David Mepham, the UK director of Human Rights Watch, who explained the report in more detail.

Story Tools

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific