This museum is one of Cairo's best kept secrets and takes its name from Major R.G. Gayer-Anderson Pasha, who resided in the house between 1935 and 1942.
It is noted for being one of the best preserved examples of 17th century domestic architecture left in Cairo and also for Gayer-Anderson's vast collection of furniture, carpets, artefacts, and other objects.
Gayer-Anderson, a retired collector and self-described Orientalist, oversaw the restoration of the house and elaborately furnished each room thematically. In 1942, the Major was forced by ill health to leave Egypt and return to Britain, and he gave the contents of the house to the Egyptian government.