KARELIAN PASTIES - KARJALANPIIRAKAT
- 1 decilitre water
- ½ - 1 tsp salt
- 2½ decilitre rye flour
- 2,5 decilitre water
- 1 litre milk
- 2,5 decilitre rice
- 1 tsp salt
1. Rinse the rice and place it in boiling water. Simmer until most of the water is absorbed. Add the milk, lower the heat to a minimum, and partially cover the pot. Simmer until the milk has been absorbed and the rice has turned into a thick porridge. Season with salt and leave to cool.
2. Add the flour and salt to the water and mix into a solid, compact dough.
3. Form the dough into a strip and divide into 12 pieces.
4. Roll the pieces into flat thin ovals.
5. Spread some filling on each oval. Then fold the sides towards the centre, pinching and making neat pleats along the edge.
6. Bake at 300 ºC for about 10 minutes.
7. Brush them well with melted butter or a butter and water mixture.
8. Place the pasties, separated with baking paper, in a bowl and cover with a towel to soften the crusts.
9. Serve warm with butter or egg butter which is made by mixing equal parts of butter, (cottage cheese) and chopped hard-boiled egg.
FISH SOUP - KALAKEITTO
- 1 kg fish
- 1 l water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion
- 10 allspice (whole)
- 1/2 leek
- 4 large potatoes
- 4 dl milk
- 1 tblsp flour
- dill and chives
1. Clean and fillet the fish. Boil the bones with coarsely chopped onion and spices. Cook for about 20 minutes.
2. Strain the liquid into another saucepan. When the liquid comes to the boil, add the leek cut into rings and the peeled, diced potatoes.
3. Cook for about 15 minutes. Cut the fish into chunks and add to the soup. Cook for another five minutes.
4. Mix the flour with milk and add to the soup. Let the soup simmer for a few more minutes. Sprinkle plenty of chopped dill and chives on top of the soup. If you want to use ready filleted fish, you will need 300-400 g.
5. Add a fish bouillon cube to the liquid.
- 4 boiled potatoes
- 4 boiled carrots
- 4 boiled beetroot or pickled beetroot
- 1 gherkin
- 1 small onion
- salt, white pepper
- 1 1/2 dl cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vinegar (10%)
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
(water the beetroot was cooked in)
1. Cook the vegetables in their skin well beforehand until just tender.
2. Peel the vegetables and onion, and cut them into small, equal-sized cubes. Mix them together and season with a little salt and white pepper.
3. Whip the cream lightly, season with sugar and vinegar and add a few drops of beetroot liquid for colour. Serve the dressing separately.
4. Garnish the salad with hard-boiled eggs, the yolks and whites chopped separately and laid in stripes on the top.
EGG CHEESE - MUNAJUUSTO
- 3 l milk
- 1 l sour milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
1. Bring the milk almost to boiling point. Combine the eggs and sour milk and add to the hot milk, stirring gently.
2. Continue to cook the milk over low heat, stirring until it curdles. Remove the saucepan from the stove and let the whey separate in a warm place for half an hour.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the curds to a sieve lined with muslin. Lightly press the whey out. Add the salt, stirring in well.
4. Place a light weight on the cheese and leave it to stand in a cold place overnight.
5. Next day, turn the cheese onto an ovenproof dish. Brush the cheese with egg and bake at 250 °C until nicely brown.