[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Sunday, 10 December 2006, 13:46 GMT
Third Briton died in Jeddah crash
Saudi Arabia map
Three Britons are now known to have died in a coach crash in Saudi Arabia, the Foreign Office has said.

A total of 34 other people were also hurt in the crash, which happened early on Saturday, 55 miles north of Jeddah at the port of Rabegh.

The coach was carrying pilgrims from Medina to Mecca, the Foreign Office said. It is not yet known how the accident happened.

Further details are yet to be released but next of kin have been informed.

Two of the three fatalities were identified as UK citizens on Saturday and the Foreign Office later confirmed the third person to die was also British.

The passengers - who are believed to have been on a pilgrimage package visit - included two children who were not seriously hurt.

It is thought the group also included people from London and Bolton and foreign nationals married to Britons.

"At this stage we do not know how it happened or how many of those injured are British citizens," the spokesman said.

Diplomats from the British consulate in the Red Sea port of Jeddah were at the scene of the crash offering consular support to those involved.

The British consul general in Jeddah, Gerard Russell, said he had visited the injured, who are in a local hospital.

"About 28 are still in hospital," he said.

"I've been visiting them today. A few are in a serious condition. It seems the hospital staff have pulled out all the stops to look after them.

"It's a small hospital, not used to handling things of this scale. But obviously it's a very tragic incident and a lot of the people here are very distressed.

"I've spent the past few hours talking to them and trying to find out what we could do to help them."

'Dangerous roads'

Mr Russell later told Sky News that around 24,000 Britons were expected to make visit Mecca and the journey had risks.

"It is a very large number. It's larger than any other western nation, basically," he said.

"There are incidents every year. There are millions of people who gather in one city, essentially, and at times in one small place within that city.

"It poses a lot of risks. The authorities do take quite a lot of steps to address it. It's never enough to prevent some incidents from happening.

"The roads here are quite dangerous and there are a lot of fatalities every year, in Hajj season and out of Hajj season."

Mr Russell said the next of kin of both victims had been informed of the deaths.

This year's Hajj takes place between 29 December and 3 January.


VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
Where the coach crash took place



SEE ALSO
Diary of the Hajj
16 Jan 06 |  Middle East
Hundreds killed in Hajj stampede
12 Jan 06 |  Middle East
Health warning for Hajj pilgrims
14 Jan 05 |  Middle East

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific