[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Wednesday, 21 June 2006, 12:08 GMT 13:08 UK
'Al-Qaeda video' of 20th hijacker
Fawaz al-Nashimi in the video. Pic: AP and IntelCenter
Nashimi died in a shootout with Saudi security forces in 2004
A video said to be from al-Qaeda shows the man it says was the planned "20th hijacker" for the 9/11 US attacks.

The video, released by a US intelligence organisation, is of Saudi man, Fawaz al-Nashimi, who was killed in a shootout in Saudi Arabia in 2004.

The US has not commented and the video claim cannot be independently verified.

The identity of a 20th hijacker has been the subject of great debate, although there is no concrete evidence one was part of the plans for 9/11.

Three of the four hijacked planes on 9/11 had five al-Qaeda men on board, but the plane that crashed into a Pennsylvania field - UA 93 - had only four.

The CIA had initially suspected jailed al-Qaeda operative Zacarias Moussaoui as the 20th hijacker, but later revised its opinion.

Khobar raid

The latest al-Qaeda video was released by IntelCenter, which is based in Virginia and works on intelligence with the US government.

US intelligence services have so far declined to comment on the authenticity of the 54-minute video or its claims.

In the video, Fawaz al-Nashimi, also known as Turki bin Fuheid al-Muteiry, justifies attacks on the West.

Flight UA 93 crash site
Flight UA 93 crashed into a Pennsylvania field

The video also includes audio material said to be of an al-Qaeda attack he took part in on oil facilities in Khobar, Saudi Arabia, in 2004.

Militants took up to 60 hostages in the attack. Saudi forces stormed the complex and 22 people, mostly foreigners, were killed.

Nashimi escaped but was killed in a shootout with security forces the following month.

A statement said to be from al-Qaeda had appeared on a website on 13 June identifying Nashimi as the planned 20th hijacker.

It said that "for some reasons" alleged ringleader Mohammed Atta brought forward the date of the attacks and it was "not in Allah's design for [Nashimi] to become a martyr along with his 19 brothers".

The posting denied Moussaoui was the 20th hijacker, backing up an audio recording released in May purported to be from al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.

The man in the tape says: "I am the one in charge of the 19 brothers and I never assigned brother Zacarias to be with them in that mission."

The 9/11 Commission, which investigated the attacks, suggested a number of al-Qaeda members may have tried to enter the US, possibly to take part in them.

They included Mohammed al-Kahtani, who was refused entry at Orlando airport in Florida in August 2001.

Other names that have been suggested include Mushabib al-Hamlan and Ramzi Binalshibh, who was repeatedly denied entry to the US.


SEE ALSO
'Bin Laden' denies Moussaoui role
24 May 06 |  Middle East
Q&A: Moussaoui trial
03 May 06 |  Americas
The fight for life on Flight 93
13 Apr 06 |  Americas
Who's who in al-Qaeda
19 Aug 05 |  Middle East
9/11 memorial plans scaled down
21 Jun 06 |  Americas

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific