Tuesday, November 2, 1999 Published at 20:46 GMT
World: Middle East
Mid-East talks back on track
The Middle East peace talks are revived in Oslo
US President Bill Clinton has said that his private meeting with the Israeli and Palestinian leaders has "revitalised the Middle East peace process".
It was their first three-way discussions since Mr Barak took office in July.
Mr Clinton said the two sides had agreed a number of steps including how the negotiating teams would work. The teams and the leaders themselves have pledged to stay in regular contact, which has not happened so far.
He added they had agreed not to make statements which might hinder the peace process. BBC Washington correspondent Richard Lister says few people expect they will be able to stick to such an agreement.
The US secretary of state, Madeleine Albright, and other American officials will make a series of trips to the region with the aim of achieving a framework for the final peace deal by mid February.
A possible Camp David-style meeting could take place as early as January or February 2000, according to a Palestinian official.
The two-day summit was called to mark the fourth anniversary of the assassination of Israeli Prime Minister, Yitzhak Rabin - a key sponsor of the peace process.
Mr Clinton said that if Mr Rabin had been alive to see the gathering, he would say: "This is all nice, but if you really want to honour me, finish the job."
A chance for peace
"We have now a chance, but only a chance, to bring real and lasting peace between Israel and her neighbours," Mr Clinton said.
"If we let it slip away, all will bear the consequences."
Earlier, Prime Minister Barak pledged to protect the "security interests and vital needs" of Israel as well as pursuing a lasting peace settlement with the Palestinians.
Mr Arafat heralded "the birth of a new age in the Middle East", and called for a "removal of obstacles".