Egypt has extended controversial emergency laws giving the security forces broad powers to arrest and detain people without charge.
Three suicide bombers struck in Dahab on 24 April killing 18 people
Parliament agreed another two years of the legislation on Sunday. It had been in place since President Anwar Sadat was assassinated in 1981.
Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif said the law was vital after recent bomb attacks.
But opposition groups said the law failed to combat terrorism and was used to violate the rights of Egyptians.
"They use (the legislation) to silence and oppress the opposition," deputy of the Muslim Brotherhood, Mohamed Habib, said.
Many opposition MPs came to the parliament session wearing white and black sashes saying "No to the emergency law".
President Hosni Mubarak had promised to abolish the law during his campaign for re-election last year.
The government is drafting anti-terror laws to replace the emergency law, which had been due to lapse at the beginning of January.
Mr Nazif said the government would not use the legislation other than to protect "the citizen and the security of the nation and to combat terrorism".