[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 25 July 2005, 01:57 GMT 02:57 UK
Egypt investigates resort attacks
Marchers in Sharm el-Sheikh
Egypt fears the bombings will damage the tourist trade
Egyptian investigators are trying to determine whether the Sharm al-Sheikh bombers helped stage the attacks in the resort of Taba last October.

Officials believe the man who slammed his car into the reception area of the Ghazala Gardens hotel may have been a suspect in the previous car bombings.

Egypt's interior minister said a link between the two attacks seemed likely.

More than 70 people have been questioned over Saturday's attack, in which 64 people are confirmed dead.

The revised death toll has come from Egypt's health ministry, although hospital officials have said at least 88 people died. Most of those who died were Egyptian, although at least eight foreigners were killed.

Investigators have said there were two car bombs - the one outside the Ghazala Gardens and another in the Old Market area. A third bomb, set off in a parking area near the hotel, had been placed inside a suitcase.

Security officials told AP news agency that three attackers escaped before the blasts - one man who planted the suitcase bomb and two others who left the car bomb in the Old Market.

The attack in the Old Market killed 17 Egyptians who were at a street cafe, officials said.

Peace march

In Sharm al-Sheikh, known in Egypt as the "City of Peace", hundreds of people marched through the Naama Bay area on Sunday evening in protest at the attacks.

People in Sharm al-Sheikh light memorial candles

They marched past the wreckage of the four-star Ghazala Gardens hotel, which is concealed behind a high, white tarpaulin.

Hotel workers, diving instructors and other local employees joined the march, lighting candles as night fell. They chanted slogans in support of peace and held banners which read "No to terrorism".

The BBC's Heba Saleh in Sharm al-Sheikh says the event was intended to send the message that the resort remains a welcoming place, but there was no mistaking the strength of the feelings expressed.

Two Islamist groups, one asserting links to al-Qaeda, have made unverified claims of responsibility for the attacks.

October's bombings, further north on the Sinai peninsula, killed 34 people, including many Israelis. It was seen as an offshoot of the Israeli-Palestinian dispute, and blamed by Egypt on disaffected Palestinians and local Bedouins.

The previous worst attack in Egypt was in 1997, when Islamic militants killed 58 foreign tourists and four Egyptians near the southern city of Luxor.

The tourism industry - Egypt's most lucrative - has slowly recovered since that attack, but there are widespread fears that these latest bombings will deal it a fresh blow.

See amateur video of the moment bombers struck

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific