[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Sunday, 10 April, 2005, 20:12 GMT 21:12 UK
Egypt 'identifies' blast suspects
Cairo bazaar after the bombing
The blast occurred in old Cairo in an area popular with tourists
Police in Egypt say they have identified the man who carried out a bomb attack in Cairo in which three foreign tourists were killed.

The man, who died in the blast, has not been named. Police said he came from an impoverished area just north of Cairo.

They have also arrested three others on suspicion of being accomplices.

Thursday's nail-bomb attack in a part of Cairo popular with tourists is the first in the capital for seven years.

The BBC's Heba Saleh reports from the capital that officials there are keen to portray the act as exceptional.

Our correspondent says they are aware of the need to limit any damage to tourism, which is one of Egypt's main sources of income.

Militants condemn

Tourists from France and the US were killed and at least 17 others injured in the market blast in the historic heart of Cairo.

Investigators are quoted as saying that initial inquiries suggest the four suspects had no links with any militant groups.

Earlier police said the bomber used a crude homemade explosive device which was packed with nails.

A previously unknown Islamic group has said it was behind the blast.

But al-Gamaa al-Islamiya - the group used to target tourists in the 1990s which has since renounced violence - condemned the attack.

Islamic militants in the country have staged attacks on tourist attractions in the past.

In the most recent attack in October, 34 people died, including several Israelis, when militants bombed several hotels in the Sinai peninsula.

The government accused a group of Sinai residents, some of whom were killed in the attacks. Very little information has come out about them, though their leader was said to have had Islamist leanings.

In 1997, the country's lucrative tourism industry was thrown into crisis when gunmen opened fire on foreigners in central Cairo and at a site near the southern Egyptian city of Luxor. A total of 68 people died in the two attacks.


SEE ALSO:
US citizen among Cairo blast dead
08 Apr 05 |  Middle East
Two killed in Cairo bazaar blast
08 Apr 05 |  Middle East
'No al-Qaeda hand' in Egypt bombs
01 Nov 04 |  Middle East
Taba attacks shatter Sinai tourism
11 Oct 04 |  Middle East
Country profile: Egypt
15 Jan 05 |  Country profiles



PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific