[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Thursday, 10 November 2005, 16:39 GMT
Iraq restaurant bomb kills dozens
An Iraqi nurse carries the body of an Iraqi boy who was killed along with his father at a Baghdad restaurant
A nurse carries the body of a child killed in Thursday's restaurant blast
More than 30 people have been killed and at least 20 others wounded in a suicide bomb attack on a restaurant in Baghdad, Iraqi officials have said.

Witnesses said the explosion in the city centre could be heard from several miles away.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq said in an internet posting that it was responsible.

Meanwhile police said they had found the bodies of 27 people, who had apparently been tied up and shot, near the border with Iran.

Carnage

In the Baghdad attack, a man with explosives strapped to his body walked into a restaurant close to the Palestine Hotel in the city centre shortly before 1000 (0700 GMT) and blew himself up.

The BBC's correspondent there, Jim Muir, described the scene as utter carnage.

The bomb was not one of the biggest bombs yet seen in Baghdad, but it was particularly lethal because it exploded in a confined space, he said.

The restaurant is popular with Iraqi police officers and security guards.

A statement on an Islamist website often used by al-Qaeda in Iraq said: "[One of] our martyrs' brigade embedded himself among the infidel police and security forces in the restaurant."

A statement purporting to be from the same group had earlier said it carried out the bomb attacks which killed at least 57 people in three hotels in Jordan's capital, Amman, on Wednesday.

Tikrit attack

Only an hour after the Baghdad attack another suicide bomber drove his car into the middle of a group of men queuing at a recruiting centre for the Iraqi army in Tikrit, killing at least six people and injuring 13.

Capt Hakim al-Azawi told the Associated Press that the men were former army officers who had served under Saddam Hussein and who had recently been invited to re-enlist.

The armed forces were disbanded after the US-led invasion in 2003 - a move seen by many as an error as it created large numbers of unemployed, disaffected men.

The Iraqi government is trying to build up its security forces to replace the multinational troops, who are currently struggling to contain the insurgency ahead of December's parliamentary elections.

A group of dead bodies found near the southern Iraqi town of Kut appeared to have been bound, blindfolded and shot in the head, an Iraqi police officer said.

They were in civilian clothes, witnesses said, but their identities were not immediately known.

The discovery of the victims of massacres is not uncommon in Iraq, with the security services often the targets.


BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
See where the blast took place



RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific