Monday, September 6, 1999 Published at 20:52 GMT 21:52 UK
World: Middle East
Mubarak attacker shot dead
Mr Mubarak makes a speech in Port Said shortly after the incident
Presidential security guards in Egypt have shot dead a man as he tried to attack President Hosni Mubarak with a "sharp instrument".
The statement said the head of the presidential bodyguard also "suffered a deep wound to the hand" as he fended off the attacker, who was identified as El-Sayed Hussein Soliman, a 40-year-old street vendor.
Egyptian television did not show the actual incident, but the sound of two bursts of automatic fire could clearly be heard over pictures of the cheering crowd.
Mr Mubarak has received several telephone calls from regional leaders congratulating him on his escape.
The Interior Ministry said the attacker had no links with any political or radical Islamic organisation, but was "known for his impulsive and reckless behaviour".
After the incident, he went on to a meeting and delivered a speech as scheduled - and making no mention of the attack.
Latest attempt on Mubarak's life
The Egyptian leader has already survived at least three assassination attempts.
BBC Cairo correspondent Jim Muir says the threat from Islamic extremists has receded in recent years, following a ruthless crackdown by the authorities.
Our correspondent says that the biggest of the radical Muslim factions announced earlier this year that it was calling off all armed actions.
Mr Mubarak's predecessor, Anwar Sadat, was assassinated in 1981 by Islamic militants angered at his decision to sign a peace treaty with Israel in 1979. Mr Mubarak - then Vice-President - was lightly wounded on that occasion.
Israeli PM Ehud Barak telephoned Mr Mubarak to express his sympathy and to repeat his thanks for Mr Mubarak's help in restarting the Middle East peace process.
Other calls of support have come from King Abdullah of Jordan, the Palestinian leader, Yasser Arafat, as well as Colonel Gaddafi of Libya and the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia.
Facing a referendum
Mr Mubarak faces a referendum later this month which is expected to see him returned to office for a fourth six-year term.
Middle East analyst Adel Darwish said he believed the incident in Port Said would add another 10% to Mr Mubarak's ratings.
Speaking in an interview with BBC World, Mr Darwish said that with Egyptians "economically disillusioned and unhappy, mainly with corruption in the system", the level of support for Mr Mubarak had been expected to go down.