Egyptian security forces have shot dead a suspected Islamic militant accused of helping the bombers of tourist resorts in Sinai, the interior ministry said.
The shoot-out started after police confronted a group of suspects in the desert outside the town of Ras Sudr.
Security forces said they were acting on a tip-off that the suspects were holed up in mountainous central Sinai.
The bomb attacks on 7 October in Taba and Nuweiba in eastern Sinai left 34 people dead and 105 wounded.
Initial reports suggested as many as five people had been killed in the gun battle near Ras Sudr, a Red Sea town 150km (90 miles) east of Cairo.
The interior ministry confirmed one police officer had been injured.
The gun battle began after police cornered a group of suspects they had been pursuing since Monday evening, it said in a statement.
The man killed was named as Mohammed Abdel Rahman Badawi.
He took part in the bombings and was found armed with an automatic rifle and a pistol, the ministry said.
On Tuesday, security forces were continuing to hunt other suspects thought to have fled into the mountains nearby.
Egyptian interior minister Habib el-Adly said last month that police were closing in on two key suspects in the Sinai bombings.
Police said in October they had arrested five men, all Sinai Bedouin, in connection with the attacks. Several others have also been charged.