BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 9 December, 1997, 01:41 GMT
Islamic militants say Luxor massacre "a mistake"

The London-based Arabic newspaper al-Hayat says it has received a statement from Egypt's biggest Islamic militant group announcing a halt to attacks on foreign tourists.

The statement, signed by exiled leaders of the Gama'at al-Islamiya, added that the massacre last month of nearly sixty foreigners was a mistake.

It said the group had conducted an investigation into the attack at Luxor and concluded that young members of the group acted on their own.

But a contradictory statement sent to the BBC from individuals claiming to be Gama'at al-Islamiya said the group had made no decision to end attacks on tourists.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories