[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Saturday, 29 May, 2004, 12:45 GMT 13:45 UK
Hostages held in Saudi oil attack
Hundreds of Saudi policemen are surrounding a compound where militants who earlier killed at least six people are holding a number of hostages.

The Lebanese ambassador to Saudi Arabia says five Lebanese hostages have been released, but others were reportedly still being held.

The gunmen escaped into the compound following attacks on three compounds in the eastern oil city of Khobar.

At least four foreigners were among the dead, including an Egyptian boy.

At least one American was among the foreigners killed, and British officials are heading to Khobar to check on reports that a British national was killed.

All roads are shut and all Westerners confined to their compounds
Colin Hewetson, Khobar Saudi Arabia

A statement purported to be from al-Qaeda, carried on an Islamic website, has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Western diplomats said gunmen attacked three compounds housing the offices of oil companies and residential homes of employees working there.

Security sources were surrounding the Oasis compound in the city, amid reports of further gunfire.

"The whole area is closed," Naif Al-Mazrooa, a resident of the city, told BBC News Online.

"There are helicopters flying around the area."

The Lebanese ambassador said five hostages had been released.

"We still don't know the circumstances of their release," Ahmad al-Mashat told AFP news agency.

He said the Lebanese nationals from two families were among a large number of hostages.

Witnesses said there were at least four gunmen, who wore military-style dress and used a small car and a sports utility vehicle.

Saudi crackdown

Khobar, 400km (250 miles) north-east of Riyadh, is one of the centres of the Saudi oil industry, in which foreigners play a key role.

Islamic militants from groups affiliated to al-Qaeda have been conducting a campaign against the Saudi state.

The Saudi government launched a high-profile assault on militants following a triple suicide bombing in Riyadh last May, which killed 35 people including nine bombers.

In November, 17 people died when suicide bombers struck at another compound housing mainly Arab foreign workers.

Earlier this month five foreigners were killed in an attack on a petrochemical site in the city of Yanbu.

Last week a German man working for Saudi Arabia's national airline was shot dead in Riyadh.




WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Paul Wood
"The second attack in a month on the country's oil industry"



SEE ALSO:
Saudi Arabia's 'war on terror'
29 May 04  |  Middle East
German shot dead in Saudi capital
22 May 04  |  Middle East
Concern grows over Saudi stability
13 May 04  |  Middle East
Saudi deal shrugs off safety fear
09 May 04  |  Business
Leave Saudi now, US tells ex-pats
04 May 04  |  Middle East
Westerners killed in Saudi Arabia
29 May 04  |  Middle East


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific