[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Thursday, 15 April, 2004, 23:48 GMT 00:48 UK
US citizens urged to leave Saudi
A Saudi policeman walks over the wreckage of the Riyadh bomb, 9 November 2003
More than 50 people were killed last year in two separate attacks
The US government has issued a travel warning advising US citizens to leave Saudi Arabia.

The warning said US officials had received recent and credible information that terrorist attacks were being planned in the country.

All non-essential US diplomats and all diplomats' family members have been ordered to leave, and private citizens are strongly urged to depart.

This is the third such evacuation in the country since last November.

US citizens who remain in the country despite the warning are being asked to register at the embassy in Riyadh or at the Jeddah or Dhahran consulates.

They are asked to remain vigilant, especially in public places associated with Westerners.

More than 50 people were killed last year in two separate attacks against compounds housing foreigners.

Gun battle

On Wednesday, at least one member of the Saudi security forces was killed and another wounded when gunmen attacked their patrol north of Riyadh.

A day earlier, suspected Muslim militants killed four Saudi policemen in separate incidents north of the capital.

Officers were shot at a checkpoint on the road to Qassim province after ordering a car to stop. The attackers fled in two stolen police cars.

Police said the men had probably been involved in a gun battle in Riyadh on Monday in which one suspected militant and one police officer died.

Police also defused two car bombs and seized a third car full of arms.

"The terrorists had packed a huge quantity of explosives in the cars and they would have caused major damage," a security source told Reuters.

Non-essential diplomats were told to leave Saudi Arabia in December after the US government said it received "indications of terrorist threats aimed at American and Western interests".

The threats were said to included the targeting of civil aviation and other transport.

In November, the Riyadh embassy shut just hours before a suicide bomb blast - blamed on al-Qaeda - killed 18 people and injured more than 100 in the city.




SEE ALSO:
Saudi 'militants' kill 4 police
13 Apr 04  |  Middle East
US returns diplomats to Saudi
21 Feb 04  |  Middle East
Warning to US diplomats in Saudi
17 Dec 03  |  Middle East
US security alert in Saudi Arabia
06 Dec 03  |  Middle East
US reopens Saudi Arabian missions
15 Nov 03  |  Middle East


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific