[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Monday, 29 March, 2004, 09:20 GMT 10:20 UK
Sharon son told to give up files
Gilad Sharon
Gilad may take some time to hand over the documents
The Israeli prime minister's younger son has been told to give up documents linked to two corruption cases which also allegedly involve his father.

Gilad Sharon had previously refused to hand over the material, but his lawyer said he would now comply.

The news came after Israel's chief prosecutor recommended that Ariel Sharon be charged in one of the cases, involving a Greek tourism project.

Mr Sharon and his sons deny any wrongdoing in either affair.

But there has been increasing pressure on Mr Sharon to resign over the scandals.

Members of the opposition Labour and Yahad parties were joined over the weekend by Infrastructure Minister Yosef Paritzky in calling for Mr Sharon to go.

'Financial records'

Gilad Sharon was ordered to hand over the documents after the Supreme Court turned down his appeal against a lower court ruling.

Lawyer Micha Fettman said his client might take some time to find the documents as some had to be obtained from third parties.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon

The documents are also thought to include the family's financial records.

A businessman, David Appel, is accused of paying the Sharon family to promote a tourism project.

Mr Appel employed Mr Sharon's son, Gilad, as a consultant in a deal involving a Greek resort in 1999.

Gilad had no previous experience in the tourism industry.

The other case stems from an alleged infringement of election finance regulations in 1999 and 2000.

Mr Sharon's sons are alleged to have used a $1.5m loan from South African-based British businessman Cyril Kern to pay for overspending during his leadership election campaign.

Examining evidence

On Sunday, State Attorney Edna Arbel concluded there were sufficient grounds to charge Mr Sharon over the so-called "Greek Island Affair".

Attorney General Menachem Mazuz will now assess the evidence presented to him - as well as the recommendations of the head of the police investigations division, Major General Moshe Mizrahi.

A decision could take up to two months.

Mr Sharon has said he intends to serve the rest of his term until 2007, despite the allegations against him.


SEE ALSO:
Sharon may face bribery charges
27 Mar 04  |  Middle East
Sharon will stay PM 'until 2007'
22 Jan 04  |  Middle East
Sharon probes: Key players
29 Mar 04  |  Middle East
Will bribery scandal sink Sharon?
25 Jan 04  |  Middle East
Q&A: Sharon corruption probes
29 Mar 04  |  Middle East
Fraud police quiz Ariel Sharon
30 Oct 03  |  Middle East
Profile: Ariel Sharon
21 Jan 04  |  Middle East


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific