[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Sunday, 8 August, 2004, 19:04 GMT 20:04 UK
Israel 'plans more settler homes'
West Bank town of Ariel
The settlements issue is key to the peace process
Israel has approved the building of 200 new homes in a major Jewish settlement in the West Bank, reports say.

The homes are to be built in the controversial Ariel settlement bloc, 20km (12.5 miles) inside the West Bank.

The reports follow news last week that Israel plans to build 600 more homes at its biggest settlement in the West Bank, Maale Adoumin, near Jerusalem.

Israel had committed itself to freezing settlement activity under the international "roadmap" peace plan.

Under the terms of the stalled peace plan, the Palestinians are obliged to crack down on militant attacks against Israel.

All settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip are considered illegal under international law, though Israel disputes this.

'Violation'

The Ariel settlement bloc is home to 18,000 residents.

ISRAELI SETTLEMENTS
Map showing planned barrier route
400,000 settlers in the West Bank (including East Jerusalem) and Gaza Strip
130 settlements authorised by Israeli governments
About 100 unauthorised settlements, 60 built during Ariel Sharon's government
Israel spends about $500m on settlements annually - excluding security
Sources: Peace Now group and Haaretz newspaper

Defence Minister Shaul Mofaz approved an additional 200 homes in the settlement about six months ago, an official told Reuters news agency.

Government officials told the agency that the housing ministry had yet to invite contractors to bid on the housing projects.

Palestinian Cabinet Minister Saeb Erekat said approval of the expansion of Ariel was a "flagrant violation" of the roadmap, and broke all the promises made by the Israeli government to the US.

Washington has criticised Israel's plans to expand Maale Adoumin, and urged Israel to honour its commitment to end West Bank settlement building.

Israel is planning to withdraw all its 7,000 settlers from Gaza, and the troops who protect them, as part of a disengagement plan. Israel will maintain control of Gaza's borders, coastline and airspace.

Four West Bank settlements are also to be evacuated.




Israel and the Palestinians

KEY STORIES

FEATURES & ANALYSIS

Palestinian women sit on a roof top of the home of a Palestinian family in Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip on 20 November 2006. Human shields
Palestinians adopt a new tactic to deter Israeli attacks, but this is a high-risk strategy

VIDEO AND AUDIO


PROFILES

 



RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific