[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 23 July, 2003, 17:01 GMT 18:01 UK
Chronology: How the Mosul raid unfolded
The US military in Iraq has given a blow-by-blow account of the operation which it says resulted in the deaths of Saddam Hussein's sons Qusay and Uday. BBC News Online looks at the key moments.

Monday 21 July, evening: US military approached by source and given intelligence that Saddam Hussein's sons Qusay and Uday are in a house on the northern edge of Mosul. Operation is planned overnight.

Tuesday 22 July, before 1000: Ground troops and armoured vehicles cordon off area around house and take up positions for operation.

Soldiers outside the villa where Saddam Hussein's sons were killed
Qusay and Uday Hussein were barricaded in a top-floor room
1000: "Cordon and knock" operation takes place. Troops advance to door of house, knock on door, and use a megaphone to demand that those thought to be inside the house come out. There is no response.

1010: Troops begin to enter building and are immediately fired on by the targets, who are barricaded in a fortified part of the first floor of the building. Three coalition soldiers are wounded on the stairs, one is wounded outside building.

Forces withdraw and request a quick reaction force and heavy weaponry, which is then brought in "at a fairly measured pace". Sporadic gunfire continues from house.

1045: Units begin to "prep the objective" - to fire on the part of the building where the four targets are holed up, in the hope of "neutralising the threat". Mark-19 grenade launchers and Humvee-mounted 50-calibre machine-guns, as well as a small number of AT4 rockets are used.

1122: Second brigade combat team begins movement of additional ground forces, including an additional anti-tank platoon.

1145: 0H58 Delta helicopters with rockets and 50 calibre machineguns join the assault.

1150: Additional anti-tank platoon in position, psychological operations team are also present.

1155: Commander decides to make second attempt to enter the house.

1200: Troops attempt to re-enter house. They secure the ground floor, but again receive fire from the first floor. Commander opts to withdraw and continue firing on house.

1300: Forces fire 10 Humvee-mounted TOW missiles into house - although commanders decide against using Apache helicopters and A10 planes because of the risk of collateral damage.

1320: Troops enter the building for the third time, believing three of the four people in the building to have been killed by the missile attack. They face no fire as they move upstairs, but are fired on as they reach the first floor. They return fire, killing the remaining individual (believed to be Qusay Hussein's 14-year-old son, Mustafa). They begin securing the building.

1400: Building has been completely secured, four bodies are extracted and taken away for identification.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific