The hardline Palestinian Islamic organisations, Hamas and Islamic Jihad, and Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's Fatah faction have declared a suspension of attacks against Israel.
Text of Hamas and Islamic Jihad Declaration of Initiative as published on the pro-Hamas Palestinian Information Centre web site:
Out of our interest to preserve Palestinian unity at this critical stage our cause and nation are going through;
To maintain our national unity that was achieved through the intifada and resistance and was deepened by the blood of martyrs;
To contribute to the endorsement of Palestinian national dialogue that calls for not giving up and preserving our people's rights; to protect our domestic front against division and confrontation;
To prevent the enemy from creating pretexts to ignite division; to affirm our people's legitimate right to resist the occupation as a strategic choice until the Zionist occupation of our land ends and until all our national rights are regained;
To respond to the efforts of many of those keen to preserve Palestinian national unity in the Arab and Palestinian arena, we - the undersigned Palestinian resistance factions - announce the following initiative:
Military operations suspended
First: Suspending military operations against the Zionist enemy for three months. This suspension goes into effect as of today [29 June] in line with the following conditions:
1. The immediate halt of all forms of Zionist aggression against our Palestinian people to include incursions, destruction, closures, siege on the cities, villages and camps; as well as the siege imposed on President Yasser Arafat; the demolition of houses; the bulldozing of agricultural land; encroachment on lands, property, and the Islamic and Christian holy places, particularly the Holy Al-Aqsa Mosque.
In case the enemy does not meet these conditions and obligations, or violates any of them, then we will no longer be committed to this initiative
This should also include the immediate halt of all assassinations of individuals; massacres; all forms of detention; and deportation of the sons of our people, their leadership, cadres, and mujahideen.
2. The release of all Palestinian and Arab prisoners and detainees from the occupation prisons without any condition or restriction, and returning them to their homes, beginning with those who have served long terms in prison, those who were sentenced to long imprisonment terms, women, children, the sick and the elderly.
Second: In case the enemy does not meet these conditions and obligations, or violates any of them, then we will no longer be committed to this initiative, and we will hold the enemy responsible for the consequences.
"Should they intend to deceive thee, - verily God Sufficeth thee: He is that hath strengthened thee with his aid with (the company of) the believers"; [Koranic verse]
God is Great, and victory is the lot of our people and nation.
[Signed] The Islamic Resistance Movement, Hamas; The Islamic Jihad Movement in Palestine
[Dated] Sunday, 29 Rabi Thani 1424 Hegira, corresponding to 29 Jun 2003
Text of Fatah truce, as published on the Palestinian news agency Wafa website.
Gaza, 29 June: The Palestine National Liberation Movement,
Fatah, this evening issued the following statement:
Out of Fatah's interest to preserve the Palestinian people's higher national interest at one of the most critical and sensitive stages of our national struggle;
Out of our interest to maintain the Palestinian national unity that formed and continues to form the basis of our strength and ability to struggle and hold out;
To curb any attempt to undermine national unity; based on adherence to our people's
inalienable fixed national rights endorsed by the Palestinian national councils and based on the absolute commitment to continuing the struggle to achieve our national goals spearheaded by the right of our people to return to their homeland, practise their right to self-determination and establish their independent Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital on all 1967-occupied Palestinian territories;
To respond to all sincere international and Arab efforts, particularly those by Egypt, on behalf of the movement, we declare to all peace and freedom-loving countries and forces in the world our commitment to the truce as outlined in the Egyptian initiative.
At the same time, we appeal to the states, peoples and
governments of the entire world that seek to achieve peace,
security and stability in Palestine and the region to do their best to make the Israeli Government act in a manner that would render this initiative a success based on the following requirements:
Demands on Israel
1. Immediately halting all forms of the Israeli aggression against our people, including assassinations and massacres against our centres of population, cities, villages and camps; stopping incursions and the destruction of buildings, the infrastructure, as well as economic, official and popular institutions; ending the bulldozing and confiscation of agricultural lands; and stopping efforts to Judaise them.
It is a revolution until victory
2. Lifting the siege clamped on the Palestinian people and their elected legitimate leadership headed by brother President Abu-Ammar [Yasser Arafat].
3. Releasing the prisoners and detainees held in Israeli jails.
4. Stopping encroachment on the Islamic and Christian holy
places, particularly the Holy al-Aqsa Mosque, the Church of
Holy Sepulchre, the Holy Ibrahimi Mosque and the Church of
5. Immediately halting the confiscation of land, the building of settlements on it and the expansion of the existing ones so as to pave the way for dismantling them; as well as stopping the construction of separation walls and fences.
6. Starting the occupation forces' withdrawal to the areas where they were before 28 September 2000 and expediting the dispatch of international observers to supervise the implementation of the agreed-upon terms of reference of the peace process in accordance with the resolutions of international legitimacy with the objective of achieving a just, lasting and comprehensive peace in the region.
It is a revolution until victory.
[signed] The Palestine National Liberation Movement, Fatah,
BBC Monitoring, based in Caversham in southern England, selects and translates information from radio, television, press, news agencies and the Internet from 150 countries in more than 70 languages.