Two US Special Forces soldiers have been killed and one wounded when their convoy was ambushed in south-west Afghanistan.
Afghan and US troops have joined forces against regrouping Taleban
The ambush took place in the vicinity of Gereshk at 1130 GMT on Saturday while the soldiers were on a reconnaissance mission, the US military said.
Gereshk is just over 100 kilometres (62 miles) from Kandahar, a key Taleban stronghold until they were defeated by a US-led military operation following the 11 September attacks.
A large operation began on Saturday in the area to hunt down remnant Taleban fighters.
US soldiers are fighting alongside around 1,000 Afghan soldiers to flush out a group of Taleban fighters, believed to number about 100.
The governor of Uruzgan province said four Taleban suspects have been killed so far and six arrested.
A police spokesman in Kandahar said American bombers have pounded the city.
Taleban members have been reportedly living in the area for some time.
They are accused of shooting a Red Cross worker in Uruzgan on Thursday.
The Red Cross convoy was stopped by a group of armed men who shot the only expatriate among them.
In recent months there have been reports that the Taleban is regrouping, or at least becoming more active.
A senior Taleban commander has told the BBC the Taleban hopes to regain power in Afghanistan.
Coalition troops, meanwhile, continue to patrol and search remote border areas where Taleban and their supporters are thought to be present.