Monday, November 16, 1998 Published at 22:10 GMT
World: Middle East
West Bank withdrawal postponed
Israeli soldiers were to begin withdrawals this week from the West Bank
The Israeli Prime Minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, has said he will postpone further withdrawals of Israeli forces from the West Bank until Palestinian leaders abandon plans to set up an independent state next year.
But Mr Arafat insisted he remained committed to the peace process. "Peace to us is a strategic choice and we will not shift course," he said.
"As we ask the Israeli government to count on us on the full implementation of the Wye River memorandum, we hope that the Israeli government will do the same."
In an interview with the BBC Palestinian legislator Hanan Ashrawi said Mr Netanyahu's statement was "another flimsy excuse" which she said was part of "a consistent policy" of delaying tactics.
Under the accord, signed in Washington last month, Israel is to withdraw from a further 13% of West Bank territory.
His decision comes days after the Israeli cabinet narrowly voted to approve the deal and just hours after Israeli and Palestinian leaders had agreed that the withdrawal would start on Monday.
He has called for Jewish settlers to take more land in the West Bank before the troop withdrawal.
"Everyone should take action, should run, should grab more hills," he said
In the West Bank itself a group of 30 Jewish settlers are reported to have set up two mobile homes on a remote hill west of the Jewish settlement of Kedumim, saying their actions were in direct response to Mr Sharon's call.
Before becoming Foreign Minister Mr Sharon was long regarded as the champion of Jewish settlements.
He is leading the Israeli delegation in negotiations over the final status of the occupied territories, due to start within days.
Palestinian spokesman, Nabil Abu Rdainah, said Mr Sharon's remarks were dangerous and warned they would lead to an "explosion".