Thursday, November 12, 1998 Published at 05:05 GMT
World: Middle East
Israeli cabinet confirms peace deal
Right-wing Israelis oppose handing over more land
The 17-member cabinet voted eight to four in favour, with five abstentions.
The cabinet also attached a number of conditions to its approval.
The three main conditions are:
The Foreign Minister, Ariel Sharon, has warned that implementation of the deal will halt if the Palestinians fail to stick to their commitments, including deleting the part of their charter calling for Israel's destruction.
He said his side had lodged an official complaint with the Americans about new conditions such as Mr Netanyahu's demand.
The accord had faced strong opposition from some hardline nationalist ministers and among Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's core right-wing constituency.
The accord now goes to the Israeli parliament - the Knesset - which will vote on the deal on Monday.
Under the terms of the agreement brokered by President Clinton, Israel is to withdraw over three months from an additional 13% of the West Bank in exchange for a series of Palestinian actions against anti-Israel militants.
After several delays the government had been due to ratify the agreement last Friday, but talks were suspended following a bomb attack in Jerusalem carried out by the militant group, Islamic Jihad.
But on Tuesday, the prime minister's office said a decision had been taken to reconvene talks following "reports indicating the Palestinian Authority has begun taking practical steps against the terrorist infrastructure and the terrorists."
Today's ratification is the latest stage in the interim phase of the peace process which is already badly behind schedule.
Final status talks - on the future of Jerusalem, Jewish settlements in the West Bank and the eventual status of the Palestinian areas - are meant to be completed by next May.