BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Persian Pashto Turkish French
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Middle East  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Sunday, 23 June, 2002, 14:50 GMT 15:50 UK
Al-Qaeda claims Tunisia attack
El-Ghriba synagogue
Nineteen people died in the attack on el-Ghriba
A spokesman for Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network says the organisation was behind a suicide attack at a Tunisian synagogue in April, in which 19 people died.

In an audio tape broadcast on the Arabic al-Jazeera television channel, al-Qaeda official Sulaiman Abu Ghaith said the attack was revenge for the deaths of Palestinians.

Sulaiman Abu Ghaith
Sulaiman Abu Ghaith told the US to expect more attacks
Mr Abu Ghaith praised the 11 September attacks on America and warned of more attacks "in the coming days and months".

The Kuwaiti-born cleric said 98% of al-Qaeda leaders - including Bin Laden - were alive and that Bin Laden would make a statement broadcast on television.

The Qatar-based television channel said the recording of Mr Abu Ghaith was taped recently because he referred to claims last month that the US had information before 11 September that attacks were being planned.

Fuel tanker

Mr Abu Ghaith said the 11 April attack "was carried out by al-Qaeda network. A youth could not see his brothers in Palestine butchered and murdered... [while] he saw Jews cavorting in Djerba".

The blast, which killed 14 German tourists, a French citizen and four Tunisians, happened when a fuel tanker blew up outside the ancient synagogue.

The German Government said it suspected al-Qaeda involvement in the attack.

There have been previous, uncorroborated claims that al-Qaeda was responsible for the bombing, and Tunisia recently conceded that the blast was probably deliberate.

Bin Laden 'alive'

Mr Abu Ghaith said the world would find out that Bin Laden was "in good health" in an interview which would be broadcast on television, although he did not say when.

He also denied reports that Bin Laden's deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, was injured in a US bombing raid in Tora Bora, in eastern Afghanistan.

The spokesman praised the 11 September attacks as a "great historic victory" and warned America to prepare for more attacks.

"As long as America insists on its unjust and biased policy towards Muslims in favour of Jews and Christians around the world, then... we will continue to hit it anywhere in the world."

He said that "neither [US Vice President] Dick Cheney nor Defence Secretary [Donald Rumsfeld] nor their president [George Bush] will be able to specify the place, the time or the manner in which these attacks will be carried out".

Al-Jazeera said it received the audiotape on Saturday, but it was not clear when or how it was obtained.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Claire Marshall
"The FBI is constantly receiving uncorroborated warnings"

Key stories

European probe

Background

IN DEPTH
See also:

14 Oct 01 | Middle East
23 Apr 02 | Middle East
22 Apr 02 | Middle East
10 Oct 01 | South Asia
18 May 02 | Middle East
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes