Monday, October 19, 1998 Published at 07:58 GMT 08:58 UK
World: Middle East
Israel blasts injure 59
Two explosions at a crowded bus station in the southern town of Beersheba have injured 59 people, including about 20 soldiers.
Two of the injured are said to be in a serious condition.
Israeli police say they have arrested a 25-year-old Palestinian man, who they say admitted carrying out the attack on his own.
The explosions happened at 8am (0600 GMT) - at the height of the morning rush hour.
Witnesses told local radio they saw a young man throwing two hand-grenades at a crowded bus-stop, where many Israeli soldiers were waiting.
The radio reported that one of the grenades hit a bus full of passengers.
Hospital officials said that 51 people had been admitted with injuries.
Disruption to peace talks
The Israeli Prime Minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, was woken and told the news in Maryland, just outside Washington, where he is attending a peace summit with the Palestinian leader, Yasser Arafat.
The spokesman, Aviv Bushinsky, said Mr Netanyahu believes "that this deed, this terrorist attack, strengthens the Israeli position in the negotiations with the Palestinians."
The negotiations were earlier extended for an unscheduled fifth day after the two leaders failed to reach an agreement over the weekend.
The talks reached an apparent impasse because of Israel's demands that the Palestinians provide more cast iron security guarantees before it agrees to withdraw from a further 13% of the West Bank.
Israeli Government spokesman, Moshe Fogel, said the attack underscored Israel's concerns about security issues in the region.
A spokesman for Mr Arafat condemned the attacks, calling them an attempt to sabotage the peace summit.
"The goal of the attack was to undermine efforts of [President] Clinton... at a time when efforts are being made to reach an agreement," said Ahmed Tibi.
Both sides have called for renewed efforts to reach an agreement.