BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 10 May, 2001, 21:38 GMT 22:38 UK
Saudi official says letter bombers known
The deputy interior minister in Saudi Arabia says the authorities there know who was behind last week's parcel bombing, in which an American physiotherapist was injured.

Prince Ahmed bin Abdul Aziz said the government had information that would enable it to find those responsible for the attack.

The victim, Gary Hatch, who worked in the eastern city of Khobar, was seriously wounded when a package that appeared to contain a video casette exploded as he opened it.

He's still in hospital. Prince Ahmed added that the government was also aware of the people responsible for a series of bombings that have targeted foreigners in Saudi Arabia since last November.

Three foreigners working in Saudi Arabia - a Briton, a Belgian and a Canadian - have been arrested in connection with the first two such blasts and are in custody.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories