| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 19 April, 2001, 18:49 GMT 19:49 UK
Blast rocks West Bank city
![]() Burning tyres have been hurled at Israeli troops in Hebron
An explosion has ripped through an office of the Palestinian security service Force 17 in Ramallah, injuring three officers.
Some reports said the rush hour blast appeared to come from inside the two-storey building, blowing part of the roof off and leaving the street strewn with rubble. Both Palestinian and Israeli officials said the incident was shrouded in mystery, although the head of Palestinian intelligence in the West Bank said such explosions "are usually carried out by Israel". The blast follows reports that Israeli tanks fired on a Palestinian police post in northern Gaza - in an area that earlier in the week Israeli troops re-occupied for 24 hours, provoking harsh international criticism.
His inner security cabinet met on Thursday. Israeli TV reported that the meeting approved "pinpointed" military action against Palestinian targets but ruled out longer-term occupation of land in the future. Mr Sharon spoke to US President George Bush by telephone on Wednesday night and they "agreed on the need for restraint by all parties to avoid further escalation in the area", according to the White House.
The authorities in Gaza, meanwhile, say they are unable to prevent armed Palestinians retaliating against what they consider to be state terror on the part of Israel. US rebukes The BBC's Jeremy Cooke says Mr Sharon's dilemma is that if he responds with further violence over Palestinian attacks he will risk damaging Israel's relations with Washington. If he does not retaliate his opponents will accuse him of bowing to US pressure.
It was the first time Israeli troops had re-entered the 70% of Gaza controlled by the Palestinian Authority for any length of time since it was handed over in 1994 under the Oslo peace accords. The Israeli forces withdrew 24 hours later after US Secretary of State Colin Powell criticised the operation as "excessive and disproportionate". The six-and-a-half month uprising in the West Bank and Gaza, which Israel seized during the 1967 war, has cost more than 470 lives, most of them Palestinians killed by Israeli troops, but also about 70 of them Israelis killed by Palestinians. UN blocked in Gaza The United Nations has filed a complaint to the Israeli army after soldiers in a tank blocked an official convoy at a roadblock in the Gaza strip.
"I have asked for an explanation but they have not provided anything. They were just refusing to let us through," Mr Hansen said. An Israeli spokesman said free passage was given to all humanitarian groups and the UN, but the convoy was held up because there had been no "prior co-ordination".
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|