On the fifth day of the conflict in the Gaza Strip, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has rejected international calls for a 48-hour ceasefire in order to allow in more humanitarian aid.
Mr Olmert said conditions were not right for a truce, but did not rule one out if a "better security reality in the south" of Israel came about. He said Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel had to stop.
Earlier, long-range rockets fired by militants in Gaza landed in the southern Israeli city of Beersheba, some 46km (28 miles) away. It is the furthest the rockets have so far managed to travel.
An Israeli police spokesman said 860,000 Israelis were now in range of the rockets. Correspondents say that will only increase Israeli public support for continued military action in Gaza.
Israeli aircraft meanwhile continued to target the militant group, Hamas. Security compounds, government buildings, and the homes of its leaders have been hit, including that of former PM Ismail Haniya.
Israeli aircraft also destroyed tunnels used for smuggling from Egypt.
A senior doctor at Gazaís main hospital said the situation was now "very desperate". Dr Hassan Khalaf said no hospital could cope with the hundreds who had been wounded, and that no place was safe.
The UN refugee agency in Gaza, Unwra, says it will resume the distribution of food on Thursday. Medical supplies will also be delivered to hospitals.
Israel has called up thousands of reservists and preparations continue near the border with Gaza for a possible ground offensive.