Page last updated at 01:38 GMT, Monday, 28 July 2008 02:38 UK

In pictures: Istanbul blasts

Victim of explosion is taken to hospital

At least 15 people have been killed and around 150 injured by two explosions in the Turkish city of Istanbul, its governor has said.

Pools of blood at the scene of one of the explosions

The first blast happened on a busy pedestrian street of the Gungoren district. The second, much larger blast came as crowds gathered.

TV grab showing injured being trated

Shortly after the explosions, television footage showed the injured lying on the street and others being carried in blankets.

Two injured women near the scene of one of the blasts

Istanbul governor Muammer Guler - giving details of the number of those killed - called it a "terror attack", without elaborating. So far there has been no indication of who was responsible.

Ambulance near scene of one of the explosions

President Abdullah Gul said the attack showed "the ruthlessness of terrorism and its goal to engage in savagery".

Police inspect the scene of one of the bombings

Police said they believed the blasts were not suicide bombings, but activated either remotely or by means of a timer.



SEE ALSO


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific