BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 13 December 2007, 12:44 GMT
In pictures: Release of Gillian Gibbons

Gillian Gibbons (centre) with her son John and daughter Jessica

Teacher Gillian Gibbons, 54, is back home after being released from jail in Sudan. She had been jailed on 29 November for letting children in her class name a teddy bear Muhammad.

Unity High School

Mrs Gibbons was convicted of insulting Islam after another member of staff at Unity High School complained to the Ministry of Education.

The court building in Khartoum on the day of Mrs Gibbons's appearance

In a Khartoum court, Mrs Gibbons was found guilty of insulting Islam and not guilty of two other charges. She could have faced 40 lashes if found guilty of all three.

Sudanese demonstrators burn a newspaper bearing the photo of Gillian Gibbons

After Mrs Gibbons's 15-day term was imposed, crowds of people marched in Khartoum to call for a tougher sentence. Some reportedly called for her to be shot.

Protest in Khartoum

Protesters were angry because they said Mrs Gibbons had insulted Islam. Fears for Mrs Gibbons's safety led officials to move her from prison to a secret location.

Protesters in London calling for Mrs Gibbons to be freed

In the UK and elsewhere, meanwhile, Mrs Gibbons's sentence met with widespread condemnation and calls for an immediate release. The incident embarrassed the Sudanese government.

Baroness Warsi and Lord Ahmed

The British diplomatic effort to secure the release of Mrs Gibbons was ultimately led by British Muslim peers, Lord Ahmed and Baroness Warsi, who flew out to Sudan.

Baroness Warsi and Lord Ahmed meet President Omar al-Bashir

On the third day of their visit, Lord Ahmed and Baroness Warsi managed to secure a meeting with Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, who they hoped would overturn the sentence.

President Omar al-Bashir with Lord Ahmed and Baroness Warsi

The pair had their work cut out with the president - he was also under pressure from Sudanese hardliners to ensure Mrs Gibbons served her full sentence.

Lord Ahmed and Baroness Warsi tell of their delight

After the meeting, the president pardoned Mrs Gibbons and she was released from custody. Lord Ahmed said he and Baroness Warsi were proud to have played their part.

Mrs Gibbons with her son

Reunited with her family at Heathrow airport, Mrs Gibbons said she was glad to be back but sorry to leave Sudan.


Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific