[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 12 November 2006, 14:06 GMT
In pictures: City nightclub fire

Nightclub fire

The fire is believed to have begun in a toilet at the Edward's No.8 club in central Birmingham.

Nightclub fire

More than 500 people were led to safety from the club and 10 were treated for smoke inhalation as the flames quickly spread from the third floor to the roof.

Nightclub fire

Ten fire engines and 50 firefighters were sent to the scene early on Sunday to stop the flames spreading to nearby apartments.

Nightclub fire

Firefighters praised the staff and management at the club who quickly evacuated the building.

Nightclub fire

Nearby residents such as David Barrington could see the dramatic scenes from their city centre apartments.

Nightclub fire

The extent of the damage to the upper part of the building in Lower Severn Street can be clearly seen.

Nightclub fire

Some 25 firefighters remained at the scene on Sunday to damp down at the building.

Nightclub fire

Investigating officers will enter the building when it is deemed safe to try to discover the cause of the devastating fire.




SEE ALSO
City nightclub destroyed by fire
12 Nov 06 |  West Midlands

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific