Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, July 16, 1999 Published at 17:21 GMT 18:21 UK


World

Libya pays $31m for plane bombing

Relatives of the victims want Colonel Gaddafi put on trial

Libya has transferred more than 200 million francs ($31m) to compensate the families of 170 people killed in a 1989 bombing of a French airliner over Africa.

The UTA DC-10 exploded on 19 September, 1989 over Niger while on a flight from Brazzaville, Congo, to Paris.


[ image: Col Gaddafi has promised to hand over suspects]
Col Gaddafi has promised to hand over suspects
Debris was scattered over hundreds of kilometres in the Sahara desert.

The payment was ordered by a French court this year.

The transfer of funds was announced by the French Foreign Ministry.

It said the payment expressed "an acknowledgement by the Libyan authorities of the responsibility of their citizens, in accordance with the rulings of French justice".


Africa reporter Caroline Hawley: The bombing happened at a time of heightened tension between France and Libya
In March, a Paris court sentenced six Libyans to life sentences in absentia for placing a bomb on the plane.

The most senior of them is Abdallah Senoussi, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's brother-in-law.

Libya's secret service, which is also accused of blowing up Pan Am flight 103 over the Scottish town of Lockerbie in 1988.

Gaddafi sued


[ image:  ]
Last month relatives of the victims of the UTA bombing said they had filed a suit against Libyan leader Gaddafi, accusing him of complicity in murder.

The relatives' action group, SOS Attentats, called for Colonel Gaddafi to be prosecuted as an accomplice because of the protection he gave to the suspects.

It said he had failed to hand over those found guilty, despite a promise to do so.

In April, Libya surrendered for trial two men accused of the Lockerbie bombing, which killed 270 people.

Lockerbie
The men are accused under Scots law of charges of conspiracy, murder and "contravention of the Aviation Security Act 1982".

No date has been set for the start of the trial to be heard in the Netherlands, but it has been estimated it could last for up to a year.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

17 Jun 99 | Middle East
French murder charge for Libyan leader

05 Apr 99 | World
Analysis: Legal firsts for Lockerbie trial

10 Mar 99 | World
Libyans sentenced for French bombing





Internet Links


SOS Attentats

Libya Resources

Lockerbie Trial Briefing


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

From Business
Microsoft trial mediator appointed

Violence greets Clinton visit

From Entertainment
Taxman scoops a million

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Bush calls for 'American internationalism'

Hurricane Lenny abates

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Russian forces pound Grozny

Senate passes US budget

Boy held after US school shooting

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

Sudan power struggle denied

Sharif: I'm innocent

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

India's malnutrition 'crisis'

Next steps for peace

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

DiCaprio film trial begins

Memorial for bonfire dead

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tamil rebels consolidate gains

New constitution for Venezuela

Hurricane pounds Caribbean

Millennium sect heads for the hills

South African gays take centre stage

Lockerbie trial judges named