Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Low Graphics

Monday, June 7, 1999 Published at 17:43 GMT 18:43 UK


Needle found in baby's kidney

Casey-Jane and her mother Alison

A hypodermic needle may have been left inside a baby for as long as nine months following a routine check-up, it has been alleged.

Geeta Guru-Murthy: "Parents are considering legal action"
The Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester is now holding an inquiry to establish how the needle, which was found embedded in the 17-month-old girl's kidney, got there.

The girl's parents are now planning to sue the hospital.

Alison Angel took her daughter Casey-Jane to the Royal Hampshire after finding blood in her nappy.

Cancer fears

[ image: Surgery has left an unsightly scar]
Surgery has left an unsightly scar
Blood was spotted in her urine, and an ultrasound scan revealed she had a lump on her kidney.

Mrs Angel said: "We were told it could be a tumour and that Casey-Jane would be transferred to Southampton General Hospital.

"Staff at Winchester said the Southampton hospital was better equipped and would carry out a biopsy to see if the lump was malignant.

"We were in a state of shock. The next day she had a biopsy at the general hospital. They told us they found a blood clot and not a tumour.

"My husband Steve and I were delighted Casey-Jane did not have cancer.

"But we were still worried - we did not know what was causing the blood clots."

Further tests

Further tests were carried out at Southampton General, and an X-ray showed a one-and-a-half inch needle in Casey-Jane's kidney.

Surgeon's operated to remove the needle, and Casey-Jane now faces further tests to rule out the risk of infection.

Mr Angel said: "It could have hit her spine or heart - God knows what would have happened. She now has a four-inch scar for life and has suffered an operation that should not have happened."

Casey-Jane's parents said the needle could have been inside her for as long as nine months.

Pat Petrie, spokesperson for the Royal Hampshire, said: "It is not clear how the needle came to be in the patient's kidney, when it happened or if it might have occurred during previous treatment.

"However, because of the seriousness of the incident the hospital has set up an internal enquiry."

Mr and Mrs Angel are considering legal action against the hospital.

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |

Health Contents

Background Briefings
Medical notes
In this section

Disability in depth

Spotlight: Bristol inquiry

Antibiotics: A fading wonder

Mental health: An overview

Alternative medicine: A growth industry

The meningitis files

Long-term care: A special report

Aids up close

From cradle to grave

NHS reforms: A guide

NHS Performance 1999

From Special Report
NHS in crisis: Special report

British Medical Association conference '99

Royal College of Nursing conference '99