BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Health
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Background Briefings 
Medical notes 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 14 June, 2001, 10:46 GMT 11:46 UK
Organic food 'hygienic'
Carrots
Research was carried out on carrots
The overwhelming majority of organic vegetables are free from bugs that cause disease in humans, research suggests.

The Public Health Laboratory Service tested more than 3,000 samples of uncooked, ready-to-eat organic vegetables for the presence of disease-causing micro-organisms.

The researchers found that 99.5% of the samples were of "sound quality".

None of the samples showed any evidence of the presence of four key microbes - listeria, salmonella, campylobacter and E. coli 0157.

And just 0.5% showed evidence of "indicator organisms" that, while not harmful in themselves, suggest a lack of hygiene.

The results suggest that the agricultural, hygiene, harvesting and production practices under which these products were produced were overall very good.

'Very encouraging'


We did not find these potentially dangerous organisms in any of the 3200 samples we tested, which is of course very encouraging

Dr Robert Mitchell
Researcher Dr Robert Mitchell said: "Over the last few years the size of the market for organic food has grown dramatically, and so has interest in how "safe" organic foods are.

"This study, the first of its kind in this country, looked for evidence of four key organisms which can cause disease in humans.

"We did not find these potentially dangerous organisms in any of the 3,200 samples we tested, which is of course very encouraging."

Indicator organisms are bacteria which are found in soil and water and in the faeces of animals.

They are very common in the environment, and so it is likely that they will be present at some level on products like vegetables, which are often grown close to the soil.

Dr Mitchell said: "We do not generally see disease caused by organisms like these, but if we find higher levels of these organisms then this can indicate poor hygiene in production processes.

"The fact that we found permissible levels of these organisms in 99.5% of the samples in this study also suggests high levels of good practice.

"In the remaining 0.5% we found higher levels; this does not mean that the produce would cause disease in humans, but it does underscore the importance of maintaining the high levels of hygiene and production quality which appear to have taken place in the other 99.5%"

The study was carried out in May and June 2000.

It looked at vegetables such as carrots, lettuce and spring onions which were grown close to or in contact with the soil and which were sold to be consumed without any further cooking or preparation other than light washing or scraping.

In total, 3200 samples were taken from outlets across the UK which ranged from supermarkets and health food stores to farm shops and market stalls.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

01 Sep 00 | Health
Organic food 'no healthier'
03 Jan 00 | Sci/Tech
Organic food 'proven' healthier
06 Oct 99 | Health
Iceland puts freeze on additives
25 May 00 | Sci/Tech
Organic farms 'benefit wildlife'
17 Sep 99 | Sheffield 99
Organic farming can 'feed the world'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Health stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Health stories