Monday, July 6, 1998 Published at 14:09 GMT 15:09 UK
Trimble warns of threat to peace
Here we stand and will do no other: Orangemen begin their protest
But Northern Ireland Secretary Mo Mowlam has made it clear that the government will not give in to loyalist violence and reverse the ban as the Drumcree march stalemate entered its second day.
Up to 1,000 Protestant Orangemen and their families spent the night sleeping out next to the barricades erected by the army to prevent them marching down the Garvaghy Road in Portadown.
Mr Trimble dismissed the claims saying he had never made such a demand.
The First Minister said: "This situation has the capacity to de-stabilise, and if the situation is not resolved satisfactorily, it could put at risk all the political progress we have achieved."
He pleaded with loyalists to "keep calm" but said the Parades Commission had made a mistake.
Mr Trimble said the scenes of violence were "very regrettable" and confirmed he had spoken with Ms Mowlam and Downing Street about the stand-off.
She said: "I appeal to people to look to the future. We have options in the future for better peace in Northern Ireland, and to not participate where there is a potential for violence to result."
Tents were erected and pipers played traditional music to the orange-sashed protesters in Portadown.
Mr Paisley, the leader of the Democratic Unionists, blamed the Parades Commission's "folly" for the Drumcree stand-off and accused its chairman Alastair Graham of trying to play one community off against the other.
It is believed that the Portadown Orange Lodge could introduce a rota to maintain a presence at the frontline as members return to work during the week.
Speaking shortly after the protest began, Robert Saulters, Grand Master of the Orange Order, predicted his members would remain resolute.
He said: "Last year we did it the quiet way and what thanks did we get for it?
"This is what we get - a kick in the teeth."
'Close the checkpoints'
While the Orange Order drew its line in the sand, a spokesman for the nationalist community behind the razor wire and ditches demanded further action from security forces.
He stressed community concerns that the RUC would eventually capitulate under the weight of province-wide protests and allow the march down the Garvaghy Road.
He added: "The government and the Chief Constable of the RUC, with the support of the army, are determined that civil security prevails".
More rulings to come
He said: "There will be decisions which will be just as unpalatable to the nationalist community.
"They will be as equally required to comply with the legal ruling of the Parades Commission, as are the Orange Order at Drumcree."