Tuesday, August 18, 1998 Published at 20:56 GMT 21:56 UK
Real IRA apologises for Omagh bomb
The Real IRA said the targets had been "commercial"
The breakaway terrorist group the Real IRA has claimed responsibility and offered apologies for the bomb that killed 28 people in Omagh.
In a statement released in Dublin on the same day that Prince Charles visited the scene of the bombing, the organisation said that the targets had been "commercial".
It added: "We offer our apologies to these civilians."
The group said it issued three warnings - "40 minute warnings on each of them".
"The location was 300-400 yards from the courthouse.
"At no time was it said it was near the courthouse," it added.
Dr Mowlam condemned the statement as a "pathetic attempt to apologise for and excuse mass murder".
She added: "Responsibility for this atrocity rests entirely with the bombers."
Security officials in Dublin and in Northern Ireland pointed the finger of blame at the Real IRA for last Saturday's explosion in the immediate aftermath of the blast.
The Conservatives have called on the government to ensure no members of the Real IRA are freed from jail early as part of the Good Friday Agreement.
It would be insensitive to release prisoners in the immediate aftermath of the Omagh bombing, he said.
Mr Lilley said: "The sooner we take arms out of existence and circulation and availability to these groups, the better that must be for peace, security and confidence in the province."