[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 25 June, 2004, 12:31 GMT 13:31 UK
Arrests made after England exit
Jersey fans
Jersey fans after the game: The population is 10% Portuguese
A total of 14 arrests have been made in Jersey after police in riot gear had to use CS gas to disperse crowds as trouble flared after England's defeat.

A crowd of Portuguese fans were pelted with cans, bottles and coins in St Helier after the Euro 2004 match.

Police in Norfolk have been questioning 15 people about an attack on a Portuguese-run pub in Thetford.

Portuguese fans, including children, were besieged in the pub for more than two hours by angry England supporters.

In Jersey, around 1,500 England fans brought Minden Place in St Helier to a standstill after Portugal's victory.

The situation was brought under control by 0100 BST.

Jersey's population is around 10% Portuguese, of Madeiran origin.

Vingtenier Mitch Couriard from St Helier's Honorary Police said: "It was shocking. There's been nothing like this in Jersey in living memory."

Pub stand-off

Meanwhile in Thetford police and community leaders were meeting after the attack on the Red Lion pub, which was filled with around 80 Portuguese fans and 40 English friends.

The English fans since they have been here have known both defeat and victory and in each case they have behaved in a very civilised way
Portuguese police spokesman

More than 100 English fans surrounded the pub and some tried to force their way in as police attempted to hold them back.

Police said 15 people were arrested on suspicion of disorder offences, a number of which were released on police bail without charge pending further inquiries.

Jorge Pascoal, 37, who works as a press officer for the Red Lion and an adviser to Portuguese immigrants arriving in Britain, said the bill to repair the damage would run into thousands of pounds.

But he said the people who ran the pub were determined not to think the worst of all English people and to try to develop their business.

Mr Pascoal, who was trapped inside the pub last night with his wife Ana, 35, and 10-year-old son Tiago, said: "The windows are all smashed, some of our cars were smashed.

Missiles were thrown at Portuguese fans in the pub

"Basically everything is devastated. It was shaming."

Mr Pascoal said Tiago had been forced to hide and had been terrified when the pub was attacked.

"Tiago enjoyed the game so much," he said.

"But afterwards he was terrified. He hid behind a freezer at one point."

Severed ear

In Liverpool a 24-year-old man is recovering after his ear was cut off in a fight following England's defeat.

He was taken to hospital after the disturbance in the city centre.

Two people have been arrested on suspicion of wounding following the incident in the Williamson Square area of the city, police said.

Seven people were arrested in Boston, Lincs, and there were also 17 arrests in Hertfordshire after scenes of public disorder.

Ironically, police in Lisbon said England supporters were well behaved after the game.

"The English fans since they have been here have known both defeat and victory and in each case they have behaved in a very civilised way," a Portuguese police spokesman said.

The BBC's Ben Brown
"Football is still not coming home"


News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific