Languages
Page last updated at 12:45 GMT, Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Manx Summerland leisure site revamp plans welcomed

Summerland picture courtesy of Manxscenes.com
More than 50 people died in a fire at the leisure complex site in 1973

Developers have been invited to submit plans for the former Summerland site where a large fire in 1973 killed more than 50 people.

The plot has been vacant for several years, and last year plans for a £30m facility with a multiplex cinema, restaurant, and bars, were dropped.

Talks between the Manx government and the Sefton Group, which was to lease the site, broke down.

A tender process will begin in April, the tourism and leisure minister said.

Martyn Quayle said people interested in developing a leisure facility should contact the government as soon as possible and plans should be submitted within three months.

All proposals should include details of how the Manx Electric Railway depot facilities could be maintained.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Plans for Summerland site on hold
21 Oct 09 |  Isle of Man
Summerland leisure complex plan
18 Mar 09 |  Isle of Man
Summerland demolition announced
09 Sep 05 |  Isle of Man
Calls for Summerland leisure site
07 Feb 08 |  Isle of Man

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific