Languages
Page last updated at 09:20 GMT, Monday, 22 February 2010

Heavy cuts to continue on Isle of Man

Allan Bell MHK
Treasury minister Allan Bell said front line services will be protected

Cuts and job losses in this year's Isle of Man budget were "only a taste of things to come" in tackling a massive deficit, it has been claimed.

Treasury minister Allan Bell warned the government will need to save £50m to fill the hole in the economy caused by the VAT agreement with the UK.

A five-year plan has been created to ensure finances are stabilised.

Last week's budget saw the axing of 99 civil service jobs and a rise in income tax and electricity prices.

Mr Bell said: "We have decided to spread the re-balancing that's necessary over a five-year period and make use of all resources to us - in particular protecting the economy.

"Next year, with the aim of protecting front line services, there will be further reductions.

"The second part of the VAT reduction kicks in and we'll have to find a further £50m which is going to be very difficult."



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Budget reveals rise in income tax
16 Feb 10 |  Isle of Man
'Difficult' Manx budget revealed
17 Feb 09 |  Isle of Man

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific