Livestock owners in Guernsey are being reminded to practise good hygiene after a confirmed case of E.coli.
E.coli bacteria can cause serious infection
An adult was infected with the 0157 strain of the bacterium, but escaped any serious symptoms.
It is thought that the bug was passed on from goats as three animals in a local herd have been found to carry it.
The Commerce and Employment Department said cases were rare, but added people should be careful when young children came into contact with animals.
Children and pensioners are especially vulnerable to E.coli 0157 which is normally found in the intestines of people and cattle and can be passed on by eating infected food.
Infection can also result from drinking un-pasteurised milk.
Symptoms can range from mild diarrhoea to abdominal cramps and blood in the stools.
Some patients also suffer from a complication, hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), which kills red blood cells and can cause kidney failure.
In severe cases, it can cause permanent kidney damage.