Languages
Page last updated at 18:33 GMT, Friday, 31 July 2009 19:33 UK

Funeral held for Spain bomb dead

Advertisement

Mr Zapatero places medals of honour on the coffins

A funeral has been held for the two policemen killed by a car bomb on the Spanish island of Majorca on Thursday.

The service, in the Majorcan capital Palma, was attended by Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero and members of the royal family.

The attack was the second in 48 hours. Both have been blamed on the Basque separatist group, Eta.

Also on Friday, police made a public appeal for help in tracing six people they believed to be Eta members.

A minute's silence was also held across Spain in memory of the dead.

The two Civil Guards - Carlos Saenz de Tejada Garcia and Diego Salva Lesaun - were given full military honours at the joint ceremony in Palma.

Mr Zapatero placed the medals of honour on their coffins as they lay in the chapel of the cathedral.

Ramon Socias, the Spanish government's delegate to the Balearic Islands, told reporters the men had "placed all their hopes in being members of the Civil Guards, in serving the public".

Images of six Eta suspects wanted by Spanish police
It was not clear if the six suspects were linked to the bomb

He said they had been "killed for no reason, because of the barbarity of a few thugs who don't represent anybody, who I believe don't even represent themselves".

Deputy Prime Minister Maria Teresa Fernandez de la Vega said she repeated the government's "absolute condemnation" of the attacks.

"I reiterate that together we are going to win the fight against the terrorists. We will finish them. And we are going to do it together and within the limits of our rights," she said.

The Spanish interior ministry has also released the names and photographs of six people they described as "suspected terrorists".

The BBC's Steve Kingstone, in Madrid, said it was not clear whether the four men and two women were directly linked to the bombings, but that police are under pressure to make arrests.

Deadliest attack

The men were killed when a bomb exploded underneath the patrol car they were sitting outside the El Foc barracks in Palmanova, security officials said.

Investigators walk past the scene of the bombing in Palmanova (30 July 2009)

Several people were also injured by the powerful explosion on the busy road, which sent the vehicle flying through the air and set it on fire.

The attacks took place on the eve of the 50th anniversary of Eta's founding and, while there has been no claim of responsibility for the attack yet, Mr Zapatero said it bore all the hallmarks of the Basque separatist group.

The Majorca attack came a day after another car bomb destroyed much of a police barracks in the northern city of Burgos and left more than 50 people slightly wounded.

Thursday's attack was the deadliest since two Spanish undercover policemen were shot during an operation in south-western France in December 2007.

Eta has been held responsible for more than 820 deaths during its campaign for an independent homeland in Spain's Basque region.

For many months Spaniards have been told by their government that Eta is historically weak, following the arrest of a string of alleged commanders of its military wing, says our correspondent.

But the past 48 hours have provided chilling evidence to the contrary, he adds, and Eta appears to be making a statement - that it has the capability to strike anywhere.

Map

Are you travelling to or from Majorca? Have you been affected by travel disruptions or heightened security checks since Thursday's car bomb? Are you living on the island? What is the mood like there since the blast? Send us your comments and experiences using the form below.

Name
Your E-mail address
Town & Country
Phone number (optional):
Comments

The BBC may edit your comments and not all emails will be published. Your comments may be published on any BBC media worldwide.




Print Sponsor



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific