Languages
Page last updated at 17:13 GMT, Thursday, 5 June 2008 18:13 UK

Barcelona terror suspects charged

Eleven Muslim men - 10 from Pakistan and another from India - have been charged with plotting suicide bomb attacks in Spain.

Ten of them were arrested in Barcelona in January, but one is still at large.

They stand accused of conspiring to blow up part of the city's transport network. The 10 in custody are due to appear in court later this month.

All deny any wrongdoing, saying the case is based on the unreliable claims of a single police informant.

The suspects were arrested following a tip-off from domestic and foreign intelligence services.

Officers seized mobile phones, computers and what was said to be bomb-making equipment.

'Intent on destruction'

The Spanish authorities said the group had been in an "active phase" - and was thought to be preparing an attack on Barcelona's metro.

The indictment issued by a judge on Thursday acknowledges that the alleged militants did not have sufficient capacity to cause serious damage.

But it says it can be inferred from the evidence that they were planning suicide attacks.

The group is described as well organised and intent on causing destruction in the name of radical Islam.

With differing degrees of alleged involvement, they are accused of possession of weapons and membership of a terrorist organisation.


video and audio news
Spanish interior minister on the arrests



SEE ALSO

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific