BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Wednesday, 5 March 2008, 11:25 GMT
Karabakh casualty toll disputed
Nagorno-Karabakh war. File photo
Armenia and Azerbaijan fought a bitter war over Nagorno Karabakh
Armenia and Azerbaijan have made conflicting casualty claims following clashes in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh on Tuesday.

Baku said 12 Armenian and four Azeri soldiers were killed, accusing Yerevan of provoking the shootout.

A spokesman for pro-Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh said two of its troops were wounded and eight Azeri soldiers killed in the clashes started by Baku.

Pro-Armenian troops seized Azerbaijan's region during the war in the 1990s.

If confirmed, the fighting was heavier than most of the skirmishes that often break out along a ceasefire line that was agreed in 1994.

Armenia map

On Tuesday, Azeri authorities told the BBC that Armenia had provoked the clashes to divert attention from its domestic problems.

Eight people died during clashes with police in the Armenian capital Yerevan on Saturday, after disputed elections in February.

Armenia and Azerbaijan still technically remain at war with each other.

Earlier this week, Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev said Baku was ready to re-take the region by force, and had been buying the military hardware and ammunition to do so.

Some 30,000 people were killed and more than one million fled their homes during several years of fighting.

SEE ALSO
Regions and territories: Nagorno-Karabakh
15 Jan 08 |  Country profiles

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific