[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Friday, 5 October 2007, 21:57 GMT 22:57 UK
Orange bloc 'wins Ukraine ballot'
BYT leader Yulia Tymoshenko
Yulia Tymoshenko could become prime minister in the coalition
The Ukrainian parties that were allied during the Orange Revolution have won enough seats to form a government, unofficial final election results show.

The bloc led by Yulia Tymoshenko and President Viktor Yushchenko will have slightly more than half the seats in parliament, the count indicates.

Russian-leaning PM Viktor Yanukovych's party won the largest share of the vote and could gain some cabinet posts.

The pro-Western bloc will now negotiate the terms of a coalition.

Last Sunday's snap election, called in an attempt to resolve a long-running power struggle between Mr Yushchenko and Mr Yanukovych, was the third national poll in three years.

The results were released by the electoral commission on Friday, but will not be confirmed legally for a further 15 days.

No 'grand coalition'

Mr Yushchenko's Our Ukraine-People's Self Defence party won 14.15% of the vote and the Yulia Tymoshenko Bloc took 30.71%, giving them a combined 44.86%.

Ukrainian voters contemplate the aftermath of yet another election.

Mr Yanukovych's Party of Regions won 34.37%, but his allies failed to make up enough ground to overtake the Orange forces' combined total.

Earlier in the week, Mr Yushchenko had called for all rival camps to start coalition talks, including Mr Yanukovych.

In an interview with France 24 television, the president insisted there was no possibility of forming a joint administration with the pro-Russian bloc.

"I am not talking about a broad coalition," he said.

"But I am talking about dialogue between the three political forces, which will provide a spark to start parliament sessions."

He hinted that members of Mr Yanukovych's party could instead be offered cabinet posts, and that Ms Tymoshenko could become prime minister.

Slightly more than 60% of the 37.5m eligible voters cast their ballots on Sunday, Ukraine's electoral commission said.

Coalition negotiations after last year's parliamentary elections took months and plunged Ukraine into the turmoil which helped trigger the latest snap poll.

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific