Italian authorities have cancelled the work permit of a convicted Nazi war criminal after complaints by members of the Jewish community.
Priebke was given a life sentence in 1998
There were protests outside the lawyer's office in Rome where former Nazi officer Erich Priebke, 93 was due to begin work on Monday.
Shouts of "Murderer!" rang out as Priebke arrived for his first day on the back of a scooter.
Judge Isacco Giorgio Giustiniani suspended the work permit on Tuesday.
A court had ruled last week that Priebke, who is serving a sentence for multiple murders, could work on day release.
Priebke was jailed for life in 1998 for his role in the massacre of 335 Italians in 1944.
He had been discovered working as a schoolteacher in Argentina and was extradited to stand trial.
In 1999, he was given leave to serve the remainder of his sentence under house arrest in his lawyer's home, on the grounds of his ill health.
But a military court ruled last week that he could go to work as a translator at his lawyer's office "every day, freely".
One Jewish protester, 80-year-old Leone Sonnino, said on Monday: "It's an absolute disgrace, people forget.
"People say 'It's enough now.' Enough for what? Nothing should be enough, there can never be enough grief."
But Priebke's lawyer, Paolo Giachini, defended the decision.
"The law says that after a period in prison, inmates have the right to certain benefits, because detention here in Italy isn't just punitive, it tries to re-educate those who have been condemned," he told Reuters news agency.
The 1944 massacre was a reprisal ordered by Adolf Hitler after partisans killed a patrol of 33 German soldiers.
Priebke was one of several officers present during the killing of the men and boys, 75 of whom were Jewish, at the caves.