Front Page

UK

World

Business

Sci/Tech

Sport

Despatches

World News in Audio


On Air

Cantonese

Talking Point

Feedback

Low Graphics

Help

Site Map

Sunday, March 8, 1998 Published at 08:23 GMT



World: Europe

Nazi officers' convictions upheld
image: [ Erich Priebke: told the court he was being used as symbol
Erich Priebke: told the court he was being used as symbol "of all the evils" of war

A military court in Italy has upheld convictions against two former SS captains who helped carry out a wartime massacre.

The appeal court agreed Erich Priebke, 84, and Karl Hass, 85, had assisted in the 1944 killing of 330 men and boys in the Ardeatine Caves near Rome.

The court also gave Priebke a life sentence for his part in the slaughter.

The two men were first convicted for their part in the war crime last year and initially sentenced to 15 and 10 years in jail respectively.

These sentences were later reduced and Priebke could have been free by May.

The defence team said it planned to challenge the appeal verdict in Italy's Supreme Court.

Defence lawyer Giosue Bruno Naso said: "This is a verdict made for public opinion."

Priebke addressed the court for almost an hour before the five judges retired to reach their verdict.

He told them: "I have been chosen to keep the memory of all the evils of that time [World War II] alive.

"It doesn't really matter who Erich Priebke is and what he has done. It only matters what he represents."

He added: "Even Argentina, to which I gave 50 years of my life, has issued an expulsion order and doesn't want me any more. Even Germany, where I was born, took away my passport and now wants to put me on trial for the things that it ordered me do 50 years ago."

Priebke was arrested after being extradited from Argentina in 1995.

His defence argued he had to take part in the round-up for the mass execution of face death himself.

The judges took eight hours to decide not to overturn both convictions.

Relatives of the victims of the massacre had packed the court's benches and cheered when the decision was announced.

Priebke will return to house arrest in a monastery near Rome, where he has been throughout the appeal. Hass remains free until the final appeal is heard.






Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage


Link to BBC Homepage

In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift





Europe Contents

Country profiles