[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Thursday, 5 October 2006, 13:02 GMT 14:02 UK
UN warned on Geneva attack threat
Security guards outside UN HQ in Geneva (05 Oct 2006)
Cars entering the compound are being searched thoroughly
The UN has boosted security at its European headquarters in Geneva after Swiss authorities gave warning of a possible threat against it.

"No information has been provided about the possible authors or the means to be used," a UN statement said.

Security had been stepped up but work was continuing as usual, UN spokeswoman Elena Ponomareva said.

Some 1,600 people work in the offices, which are set in a large park ringed by a security fence.

The statement said no specific target had been mentioned.

An information note to staff from the UN's security service, obtained by the news agency AFP, said the feared attack was thought to be planned to take place between 5 and 10 October.

Security guards carried out thorough searches on cars entering the Geneva compound on Thursday.

A year ago, security was stepped up after similar warning of a "credible threat" to international organisations based in Geneva, based on US intelligence.

The UN has been increasing protection for employees around the world since a truck bomb attack on its headquarters in Baghdad in 2003 killed 22 people.




SEE ALSO
Profile: United Nations
04 Oct 06 |  Country profiles

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific